Monday, September 12, 2011

First impressions of Anne Tyler

I picked Anne Tyler because the name sounded familiar to me for some reason. Plus, she just seemed interesting from what I had read about her. She's from Minnesota and I immediatly thought of my friend who is also from there.  From what I've read, a lot of her stories have eccentric characters and that's always fun to read. Of her novels, I'd like to read either Saint Maybe or The Tine Can Tree. Based on her upbringing in a Quaker community, she seems to bring a unique point of view to how families interact.

4 comments:

  1. Anne Tyler also sounds very familiar to me but I can't put my finger on in. Why types of topics does she write about? Is she a modern writer still alive and writing? I like how she writes about her upbringing in a Quaker community.. What exactly is Quaker? Is it similar to Amish? Can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of her stories are about people who live in small towns and every day situations. Her latest novel, Noah's Compass, was published in January of 2010. She was even nominated this year for the prestigious Man Booker prize.

    To answer your other questions, both Quakers and Amish are pacifists. But Quakers are a little more modern and they don't have a specific person leading mass, it's more of a community discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha it's funny how we do that sometimes, we just pick something that is going to have a sort of big effect on something and just choose something on a whim lol but you never know what you get out of it... it may turn out that she becomes your favorite writer, or, you might hate her ! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if you figured out where you recognized her name from! I have heard of her novels and I'm excited to get your perspective of her and her works throughout your next few blog posts!

    ReplyDelete