Tuesday, September 27, 2011

More thoughts on Saint Maybe

This next chapter was probably my favorite chapter so far because so much happened. Tyler just seems to take what I would expect to happen, but adds a lot more to it so it’s almost different than what I thought. I can sympathize with Ian’s feelings of loneliness when his parents dropped him off at college between being a commuter and his grief over his brother. His roommate is named Winston Mills; who owns a hand-shaped chair, a bedspread made from an American flag, and constantly talks about comics and odd movies. Ian liked him because he’s different and didn’t talk about serious matters. His description reminded me of Tony Dinozzo from NCIS, especially when Tyler says that he has a movie poster in their room and talks about the plot of werewolf movies and Japanese westerns. And Tony’s my favorite character, so that part made me smile. During Lucy's funeral, I find it interesting how he thinks back to Danny's funeral and even his wedding. He mentions how little attention he usually pays in church until this moment. He realizes that he wants to be consoled and needs strength.

3 comments:

  1. A hand-shaped chair! Weird. I've never read _Saint Maybe_, but you give us some great details and insight here. Your comparison to Dinozzo really helps me picture Ian's roommate. Is Danny the brother... who died? And who is Lucy, also dead? That's a lot of death for the very beginning of a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This author that you chose sounds very interesting and raw! There is a lot of glum and mourning so soon in the novel but I think tragically that's what keeps most humans interested.. "it's like watching a train wreck, you can't look away"

    --Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Erica! Your author and this particular story sounds interesting! The fact that there is so much death so soon, is dreadful but it keeps the reader interested. Especially since most people have lost close relatives or loved ones and they can relate to other people and characters who are going through such situations in life.

    ReplyDelete