I read a brief summary of a lot of Anne Tyler's books to see which one I'd find most interesting. There were a couple that are definitely on my list to read when I eventually have the time to, but I decided to read Saint Maybe for class. It just seemed like a basic story with a good message. The first chapter is mostly from Ian Bedloe's viewpoint (the main character) and just gives some background information about how ideal his family his and what is expected of him.
From what I read about the other books, this kind of family is unusual for Tyler to be writing about so I thought that was interesting. Most of the people in her other books have quirky habits or are considered crazy. Something I like about this book is how it explores the different relationships between family members and the weight of loss. Having lost a family member recently, I really connected with how the characters felt. The whole family has to come together to pick up the mess, but sometimes individuals fall apart and need extra help.
I'm going to read chapter 3 next and I'm really excited. I really like Ian as a character, so I'm wondering how he's handling his brother's death. Even in the 2nd chapter, Tyler says that Ian seemed quieter and less energetic when he was playing with the kids than usual.
This seems like an interesting book to get into and I would probably also choose the same one you did. It's a tough topic to read about especially when you can relate but that is what makes it hold the most meaning for you and gives you a greater connection.
ReplyDelete